Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2nd Appt. at UCSF January 7th, 2009


We JUST got home (4pm here). It was a long day....

Here is my FAVORITE pic from today. It is his face--you can see his open mouth, his nose and his eyes. I know that ultrasound pics are so hard to 'see', but look at it for a while and you can see he is quite adorable!

It went pretty good. Kaden's lung-to-head ratio was about the same 1.1 to 1.2 vs. 1.0 to 1.2 last time. Dr. Lee said he would still to the tracheal occlusion for us if we wanted it, but after discussing all the risks involved, we just could not bring ourselves to do it. He said he felt we were making the right decision (I LOVE this man!)--which is a hard thing for him to say because he wants to be able to do the procedure for the study, but because they cannot give a difinitive answer as to the benefit at this early stage in the study (they have only done 7 tracheal occlusions) the risks are to high to be ignored. If they told us Kaden's LTH ratio was .8 or less, we would probably do it, but with 1.4 being the best, I am okay with 1-1.2. The harsh reality is that any baby with CDH is only given a 50/50 chance at survival at less than 1.4. I would never be able to forgive myself if we did the procedure and something happened because of it and Kaden didn't make it. We have decided to continue to let God work his miracle and pray that he will heal him after he is born and he will be in the 50% that survive.

On a good note. He was still measuring about 5 days ahead on growth and his estimated weight was 2 lbs. His heart, while still on the right, still looks normal and is beating strong! The team says he look really good and healthy, and they can see lung tissue developing--even a small amount on the left side. So I remain extremely hopeful that we will be able to play out the hand we are dealt and that Kaden will do well. If there is one thing that I have learned along this journey is that NO CDH BABY IS THE SAME. I have found so many parents that have gone thru or are going thru what we are and you cannot compare "numbers to numbers" Babies that have had next to no lung tissue at birth have lived and are thriving (after hernia repair and long NICU stays) and then there are babies that had LTH ratio's over 1.4 that did not make it. It all has to do with how well they respond to treatment after birth. Just continue to pray that Kaden will be one of the babies that can fight the long, hard FIGHT!!

My phone must have rang about 20 times during the appt. Everyone has just been so great to us and concerned for our little guy. I know we say it alot, but your prayers and support are invaluable to all of us.

I am saddened by the news...
Tonight I am praying for the families whose babies lost their CDH battles this week. Their pain is unimaginable and my heartfelt condolences go out to them. You think you can prepare yourself for either outcome, but the pain of the loss of your child, after such a fight for life is hard to understand. And to have to expalin it to your other little ones is even more painful. I know how difficult it is for Logan (he is 5)to understand that his baby brother is "sick", and how it will be really confusing to him if by God's choice we don't get to bring Kaden home. They are just so young, they expect us, as adults, to be able to fix anything.

12 comments:

  1. Craig, Kristi and baby Kaden we are thinking about you! Thank you for the updates. Dustin & Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. we were thinking of you today. we are glad your appt. went well. Kaden you have wonderful parents that love you, so fight this battle little one. I used to say this to Nayeli everyday so tell this to Kaden for me everyday.
    Hugs
    Liz and Shane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear that your appointments went well. I am keeping you and Kaden in my thoughts and prayers.

    I am glad to hear that you will be at UCSF aroung the same time that I am. We head to SF on February 21st and then they said that I would be induced at either 38 or 39 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear you appointment went well. Kaden is going to be a fighter I can tell. I know it. I am not sure if I will be doing a C section or not but guess we will plan all of that beginning of Feb. I have some great pictures of Maxton they gave me yesterday that I hope to get on here soon. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it breaks my heart to even think you have to go through all of this, but it sounds like Kaden is doing GREAT! I really hope that he beats every odd their is and is born extra healthy! Of course we are praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog today through another CDH parent.

    My husband and I founded a nonprofit after our daughter lost her battle to CDH in 2006 and would like to just extend an offer of support and hope to your family.

    We have added you to our foundation's blog so other families can check in on y'all and add your family to their prayer list.

    If you need anything please do not hesitate to contact me.

    You will be in our thoughts and prayers daily.

    Jessica Singletary
    The Parker Reese Foundation
    www.theparkerreesefoundation.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy that you had a good appointment--Kaden sounds like he is growing and is definitely going to be a strong warrior!! Cute picture--he is adorable!! Many continued prayers for your precious son and family in the months to come.

    Hugs to you, Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04 and WY and CO State Rep. for CHERUBS

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through the Parker Reese Foundation and wanted to offer our support. Reading your blog brings back the all-too familiar feelings we had last May. Try to remain strong and positive for Kaden. Please let us know if we can do anything to help or ease your fears.

    http://bradandkellie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, Mom and Ben, are as anxious as the five of you. We know that God has wonderful plans for our new baby and the family that he will be born into. Kristi and Craig, we all know that God gives special children to Special parents and families. I am so proud of you both for your fortitude and grace in this situation. I know that you have been of great strength to other families as they have been for you. We love you and can hardly wait to bring that healthy baby home to told him tight. I also want to say that I am proud of Jessica and Christoper and Logan for being so supportive in this situation. It is hard for them to understand, but they will definitely be stronger for it. God Bless. Hugs and Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey guys - I had not seen your story before but good luck with your ongoing CDH battle!
    You sound like energetic and caring parents and this is exactly what is needed!

    A lot of what you write above is correct - you cannot compare ratios with ratios with these unborn babies - just stay well, be healthy and sit tight and get to term, this will give your baby the best chance he can get.

    Best wishes from the UK,
    Alex, Ingrid and Alina.

    ReplyDelete