Wednesday, March 18, 2009

36 Weeks and Thinking

Well, I will be 36 weeks in 2 days :) I am feeling pretty good this week--last week was rough--and it showed in my appointment last Friday :( Not that I have much to complain about being THIS pregnant, but my fluid levels were up to 23 and I was having contractions on the NST. I did not sleep well from about Wednesday til Saturday, and for me good sleep is the key. My OB at Kaiser gave me STRICT instructions to "take it easy" (I think he is overly-cautious), but he knows how badly I want to make it to 39 weeks. And I have to say, taking it easy over the weekend ( Mom took Logan and Craig waited on me hand-and-foot) has made all the difference in the world. I feel really good again, and yesterday my fluid level was at 13! I pray to God that this is a "good sign" that Kaden is breathing and swallowing well. You know how we need something positive to cling to.

We go back to UCSF on Tuesday to discuss our birthing plan. Originally, they were going to take him at 37 weeks, but since I am doing well with my levels, BP, etc. I am pretty sure they will let me go until I start to develop some sort of signs of labor. So far, with the exceptions of the "irregular" contraction , which I am sure are just Braxton-Hicks, I feel like I could carry him forever.

Craig seemed to have a little bit of a rough day yesterday. It was his first full day back in the office when he wasn't having to run the range (shooting range, that is) or go to court, or have a training day. He came home, and we had the typical corned beef and cabbage for St. Patty's Day. Mom & Bobby came for dinner. After they left, we were just relaxing on the couch and he started talking about my big-huge-ginormous belly...then he said "you know, I don't think the people in my office realize how serious our situation with Kaden is". It just broke my heart. He has always, always, always (from the first day we got the news) been my ROCK. He has NEVER voiced anything other than "Kaden is going to make it". Don't get me wrong, he knows that Kadens condition is serious, but he KNOWS that it is going to be okay. I have never tried to argue with him the possibilities--I argue with myself enough. I think that yesterday, alot of his co-workers were asking him about Kaden and when they all say "he is going to be alright" I think it got him thinking. I told him that I deal with this daily. Some of our closest friends, I feel, don't understand the severity of Kaden's condition, or the uncertainty of what lies ahead for us. But I think that they are trying to remain positive for us, and for them "ignorance is bliss". I felt bad for Craig, because for me, I am PAINFULLY AWARE how little is known by the general population about CDH. I think people hear the word "hernia" and they automatically think "easy fix". Until we can bring more awareness to the condition, things will probably remain the same.

That is my two-cents for the day. Please continue to keep Kaden in your prayers. Specifically for functioning lung tissue. I am doing my part to bake him as long as possible!

11 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the hernia meaning "easy fix". I used to get so mad when people would tell me.. "He is going to be fine". Not because I didn't believe that he was going to be fine but because they just didn't understand and close friends/family weren't taking the time to understand. I will say that since Maxton has been here TONS of people are now overly interested in CDH. I have been wondering.. where were they when I was pregnant! David decided not to tell any of his coworkers that anythign was wrong and since he has been back to work he has basically just told them that Max is sick and will need surgery. Men deal with things differently I guess. I hope your little guy makes it to 39 weeks! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand how you're feeling right now. Not only does "hernia" throw people off, but the term "congenital diaphragmatic hernia" seems to make people glaze over instantly. We need better PR :)

    Hearing people say "he'll be fine" was hard for me as well. It's a platitude people throw out there to be positive, but sometimes it can feel dismissive or like they're not really listening. Frustrating!

    We are thinking of you as your big day approaches, and praying that Kaden is strong and will overcome the challenges ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristi,
    I'm so sorry Craig had a rough day! I know what you mean about people not really understanding what we're about to go through. Even my sister-in-law and brother were making light of our situation to my sister. She was really mad, as she has been to enough appointments to understand the seriousness of this. It ticks me off, but what can we do?
    Hang in there, you are so close! I'm jealous! I'm glad that you've been feeling better and that you're fluid is down...if anyone knows what extra fluid feels like, it's me!
    Take advantage of the rest and pampering now-I'm supposed to be on rest and my mom keeps giving me little chores to do..argh! LOL!
    I'm sending a big hug to you and give Kaden a little tummy rub from me! :-)
    Love and Prayers,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((HUGS))) Kristi and Craig!! 36 weeks is a good milestone to reach, for this is giving Kaden strength and I am praying he continues to hold out until as long as he can, it will only benefit him. Do take it easy the next several weeks and keep telling Kaden he is one amazing little boy and he is going to be a fighter. I had no clue my son was going to be born with CDH, so what you and Craig are going through must be very hard. Thinking of you and praying for your family...if you need to talk, I am here for you. Give Kaden a big tummy rub and tell him the world awaits his arrival (in several weeks that is). He is going to be one cute baby!!

    Hugs, Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on keeping him "cooking." We had the same plan...make it to 37 weeks and then just see what happens. Carter made it to 39, so keep up the rest and Kaden will, too! What you are going through is all too familiar. We felt the exact same way. People don't realize how serious CDH is and they do think that a hernia is an easy fix. You will continue to struggle with it when you get home and people don't understand why they can't visit during cold/flu season and why they have to wash their hands when they walk in the door. We try to acknowledge each child that has died from CDH on the blog so that people start to realize how serious it is.

    p.s. is your husband a police officer? I'm a Magistrate, so I have tons of respect for what he does.
    -Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaden is doing a great job and so are you in keeping him cozy inside. Shane and I are here for you and Craig. I know exactly what you are going through. Hang in there. we have you in our prayers.
    hugs,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristi,
    We are so glad that you have made it this far, you are doing a brilliant job. Kaden has such a great chance, and it's thanks to his wonderful parents. Definitely take it easy. I cannot emphasize it enough how important it is. Take all the help you can and stay in bed as much as you can- a boxset of dvds will definitely help :0).
    We know what you mean about people not being aware of how serious of a condition CDH is but Kaden's journey has already inspired so many around you and you will be surprised how much knowledge you will pass on. And don't forget, you are not alone. We are all here praying for you and your beautiful baby boy.
    Big hugs from the UK.
    Alina, Ingrid & Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kristi,
    I hate to hear that Craig had one of those "rough days". I know what he means and I often think my buddies don't really get it. Something tells me that they do, they just don't know what to say or when they do say something, it is usually something simple that would lead one to believe they don't really understand. That's just guys. If he ever does want to chat with someone who definitely "get's it", tell him to shoot me an email.
    Just know we are thinking about you all!
    Shawn
    Kamryn Hope's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to hear that your little man has decided to stay inside his mommy. I know that it was a much greater shock to everyone other than Jason and I about how bad and the outcome of Addison's condition. We had always known that our little one could end up with Jesus but remained positive unitl the last moment. I want you to know that we have all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Remain postive and keep your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristi - I definitely understand where Craig is coming from. There are times when I don't think my own family and friends understand the severity of it all. We are with you and thinking about you. You're so close. Hang in there Mr. Kaden.

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. As the time grows closer for Kaden to arrive.Stay positive and know that GOD is
    the in the Miracle business. When our surgeon
    gave us only a 40% survival chance for Oakley
    I refused to believe that. Our 7 year old Peyton
    reminded us dailey that GOD made Miracles happen
    and that Oakley was going to be a miracle. While at Egleston Oakley was one of six CDH babies and 3 got their wings while we were there. It let us know just how lucky we are to have our daughter.
    WE are praying for Kaden dailey.

    God Bless
    The Irvin's

    ReplyDelete