Saturday, April 11, 2009

The incredible shrinking KADEN



Well, if you take a look and the before and after pictures....you will notice that Kaden is really lost a lot of his swolleness. (Top pic was 3 days ago)(Bottom was today) Today, he continued to have good stats all day long and is still scheduled to do a trial to try and get off ECMO at 10:00AM Easter morning. We hung out at the NICU all day today just talking to Kaden and giving him love. We got really worried from about noon to six thirty in the afternoon because it looked like he wasn't peeing like he was supposed to. He started off with really good numbers in the morning showing that he was losing more fluid than he was taking in. But, in the afternoon, his numbers went back to the positive (+40)for the day because he wasn't going pee like he should have been. About 6 o'clock, I asked the nurses why he wasn't peeing like he was supposed to and they had no clue why. About six thirty, I was thinking...why isn't Kaden peeing? It looks like his body is really losing fluid, but, I don't see any pee in his cathater bag. So I started using my investigative skills and came to the conclusion that his cathater connection to his bag was leaking yesterday and the nurses taped it and put a diaper around it. I asked the nurse if she had checked the diaper that is surrounding the leaking cathater and her face lit up as she picked up the soaking diaper. The diaper was full of Kaden's pee-pee. His cathater had been leaking all day. The nurse weighed his diaper and his number went from (+40) to (-129) which was totally awesome!! Kaden had been peeing all day and we did'nt even know it. So, once we figured out that mystery, we were good to come back to our hotel, get some dinner, and try and relax for the night.

We called the NICU just a few minutes ago to make sure that Kaden was still on track and making god number. He was indeed, which makes us very happy! Now, Kristi is having stress about tomorrow's trial run to get Kaden off the ECMO. I think he will do just fine. He needs to get off the ECMO so that he can start preparing for his corrective surgery. I will update in the ASAP to let everybody know how it goes in the morning.

On a side note-- Shane Nelson (Nayeli Faith Nelson's daddy) came by today to visit us in the NICU. He got to see Kaden and gave him some great words of encouragement to beat this CDH butt. It was very nice of Shane to take time out of his day off to come and see us and support us. Thank you!

So, everybody please pray for tomorrow that Kaden does well for his trial off the ECMO. Doctors say that if everything goes well on the trial, they will de-canulate Kaden and get him off the "Bloody Beast" as Kristi calls it. I am 110% positive that Kaden will be off tomorrow. I think ECMO gave his body the rest it needed, now he is ready to continue on his recovery and move on to surgery. More to come tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. :-) Sounds good... (see I told you I was a blog stalker. I cannot sleep until I get my Kaden fix for the night. :-)... alright, I can't sleep anyways, but this will help i think!) I am soooo happy to hear he is still doing well and making some good steps in the right direction. I will be thinking of you guys tomorrow and praying that the "bloody beast" is gone! Maxton was peeing over his cathater too.. what is it with the stubborn boys. :-) Maybe Max is giving Kaden too much advice from heaven. hehe. I cannot tell you how happy I am to hear he is making progress. Many continued prayers and support and love and whatnot. If you need anything let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been waiting to hear some news about today... and it's outstanding! Great job Kaden, we are praying for you to do well again in the a.m. We Love you! Grandpa Mike and Grandma Dolnapa

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay kaden! this is the best news :) good going buddy! i am praying all goes well for you guys today...HAPPY EASTER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks good--definitely can see Kaden is the "shrinking" baby!! Praying for a successful trial off ECMO, for we know you can do it Kaden!! Keep fighting and give your mom and dad an Easter present today and show them how strong you are and kick that ECMO machine out the door. Sending much love to the Kuehl family this Easter.

    Hugs, Tracy - Ian's mom, WY and CO State Rep. for CHERUBS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys!
    Kick ECMO butt Kaden! Lots of prayers that he can come off ECMO and set up for surgery! Have a blessed Easter! This special day will bring losts of blessing for ur family!
    HUGS!!
    Joanna (cherubs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am praying for you guys. I am sure that Kaden will do well onthe trial run off of ECMO. He will be home with you guys in no time. Lots of love from Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful news! Kaden is shrinking before our eyes...YEA!!!!
    Wishing you a blessed Easter and we'll keep our fingers and toes crossed tomorrow as Mr. Kaden comes off ECMO and proves himself to everyone!
    Hugs,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read on Nayeli's blog that Kaden is off of ECMO and doing good. We continue to pray for Kaden and know that he is going to be a miracle Baby like our little Oakley. God is Soooo GOOD!!

    God Bless,
    The Irvin's

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today is a very special day and we only expect special things to happen. Happy Easter! We love the good news...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing! Especially on this wonderful day! He is such a champion, and I'm encouraged by his strength, as well as yours and Kristi's. This gives us so much hope for when we face this battle in about 9 weeks.

    With Love,
    Stephanie
    Brooke and *Kamryn's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such great news! i hope that everything went well today. i checked your blog from my phone today but couldn't respond back. matt and i prayed for kaden at 10am (your time) and for you guys. please know that we will continue to pray for kaden's little body to be healed. it is so exciting to see him shrinking down and getting rid of his excess fluid! i'm sure you guys were elated to find that diaper full of pee! who knew a wet diaper would ever be such a great find! we look forward to the update tonight and to seeing how God is going to work in the lives of the kuehl family on this most awesome day...easter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaden Happy first Easter!! Hey Guys. I am new at this blog stuff. I have been following the blog and just figured out I can leave a comment! So, Good Job Kaden! I was really concerned when I looked at his picture 3 days ago, but I am so glad he is turning around. After I saw that picture I sent an email to all my friends and asked for prayers. God was listening! I hope you two are taking care of each other and getting rest. I will probrably not be able yo get over there until after the cruise. We are purchasing internet time so I will be able to check daily and let Grandma Debbie check in too!!!! We love you guys and Kaden, when we come see you in a couple weeks I want to be able to hold you so keep up the good work!!!!

    ReplyDelete