Monday, April 13, 2009

Kaden is off ECMO


Mr. KADEN ALEX KUEHL---Canula Free

Wow...what a stressfull two days. This morning we checked out of our hotel room and hurried to the hospital to see how Kaden was doing. Today was the big day....coming off ECMO. When we arrived, Kaden's stats were not doing so well. I went over to Kaden's bedside and told him how much his daddy and mommy love him, and how much so many other people love him and are praying for him to do well today. I told Kaden to be strong and that he could get though this day. I told him that daddy was sooo proud of him.

We sat around in the NICU all morning. They began to trail Kaden off ECMO at around 10:30am. He seemed to do very well, so we made the decision to get Kaden off the "Bloody Beast". The surgeons had a very busy day and scheduled Kaden to get his surgery at around 4:00pm to get that nasty canula out of his neck. Kaden was stable, so we took an hour to go downstairs and get some lunch.

We had lunch with Tim and Hayley Murphy (Baby Collins parents). Baby Collin is doing very well and was able to get his breathing tube out today. He is doing well on a nasal C-pap. Thank God that Collin is doing so well. Tim and Hayley have really been great support for us as well since they have been here everyday with Collin.

After lunch, we went back to sitting by Kaden's side until his surgery. I prayed and prayed for Kaden to do well today and beat this CDH. Today is the first day in my life that I have ever begged God for anything. I begged that God give Kaden the strength to pull through this, get well, and come home to his family that loves him. I begged God not to take my son from me. I think my begging, as well as prayers from all over the world to help Kaden through this really worked today.

The surgeons came in at around 4:00pm and began Kaden's surgery. After about an hour, one of the nurses came out and told us that everything was going great! Kristi and I were so happy. We went in to see Kaden around 5:30pm. He looked great. It was so nice to see Kaden without that nasty canula sticking out of his neck. The nurses had cleaned up Kaden's hair as much as possible which we really appreciated. Kaden is on a high osilating ventilator at around 75-80% oxygen. His numbers were not too bad for just coming off ECMO. His O2 levels were sitting around 80-85 upper, and 65-75 lower. Not the best, but we will take it. They say that it takes a little time for his body to adjust from the bi change from ECMO to ventilator. His numbers will be fluctuating for a while, but the Doctors were very happy by Kaden's success.

They did an X-ray of Kaden's chest to see how his right lung was holding up. The X-ray looked great!! They said that it looks like a majority of his right lung is open, and it is a pretty good size (down to about the 9th rib).

We will continue to keep a close eye on Kaden tonight. The hospital gave us a room on the 15th floor very close to Kaden. I just wanted to come into our room and update the blog during shift change, because I know that so many people are praying for Kaden today. God is hearing the prayers, so please keep them coming. They are working wonders for Kaden. He has came off ECMO successfully, but still has many hurdles to overcome in the days ahead. If there are any changes, I will let you all know. I might even post again just to update everybody later tonight since I'm sure we will be up late.

Thanks again and talk to you later!

27 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that Kaden is off ECMO. I have been thinking about him and praying for him to heal all day. I just know that he will be one of the miracles. I am senidng lots of love and paryers from Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news. We have been praying for you guys all day and will continue to do so. Mr. Kaden is doing great and we are all so proud of him, none more than you I am sure. Sending love and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have chills right now! praise the Lord! we serve an awesome God!!!! we have been praying for you guys and thinking of you ALL DAY LONG! i just knew that God was going to allow him to come off of ECMO successfully! i know that kaden still has a long road in front of him but i am so so so proud of him and so happy for your family.

    we'll pray that kaden continues to get better and better and that his o2 levels keep getting better and better. he looks so great without all those tubes! he really is a beautiful child!!!! please post if your hear anything else. i can't even tell you how many times i check your blog everyday. i usually just keep it open in it's own tab! i pray that the news just gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news!! Praying for Kaden that he continues to be stable and his stats even improve more overnight. He is such a warrior and you have the world watching and cheering Kaden on. You still have a long and tough road ahead of you, but Kaden is a fighter and very determined to beat his CDH. Praying for a good night,and Kaden keep making those baby steps towards your surgery little boy.

    Sending you positive energy for the days to come, Tracy - Ian's mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been praying for Kaden all day and am so relieved to hear he came off the ECMO successfully today and I will continue to pray for continued healing for little Kaden's lungs, sending lots of love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  6. A positive we'll take it !!! There's not a day or few hours that go by that I dont think about you guys and your little mans fight. I constantly find myself whispering to God throughout the day lifting Kaden up to Him, KNOWING God will answer. We are praying for strength for you two as well, i imagine you've been nothing mentally or physically harder than what your doing right now.(even Marine Corp boot camp or CHP academy :o)

    Oh and by the way, I have become a STALKER TOO ! Although I don't have a direct link to CDH or all that's involved, i can tell you that i have made everyone i know informed and aware and will continue even WHEN Kaden goes home ! Love you guys and look forward to even more positive news.

    Nathan & Courtney W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. My name is Melanie.. I work with Roxanne and Venessa. I have been following your family's story since before Kaden was even born. I am not a very religious person, and I have only found myself REALLY praying for two instances.. The 1st was for when I was having prenatal issues with my son this time last year, and the 2nd is for you & your son. I, for some reason, am drawn to your little boy & your story, and I pray every night that he gets better. If I dont see an update from you guys, I always ask Roxanne & Venessa if they have heard any news... I have never met you and your family, but the things I hear I cant help but think I know you.. Its amazing to see that Kaden is doing better!! I will continue to pray for your little man, & I hope all continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so happy Kaden is holding his own off ECMO. Stay strong he needs you more now than ever. You both are doing an amazing job. We are praying for Kaden tonight. Much love from Vince, Patty and Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise God for He is answering our prayers! I will continue to pray for strength for Kaden and your family. I am a member of TWW and a Kaden supporter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristi when you told me the news on the phone I wanted to scream but I couldnt because I would scare Nayeli. Praise the Lord! I have been praying and thinking of you non stop. I told Nayeli at around her 2pm feed that she needed to pray for Kaden too. She was quiet for a few seconds. I am praying Kaden continues to be stable and he kicks CDH booty. I always told myself God is stronger than the storm. Continue to praise him in the storm. I love you guys!
    hugs,
    PS keep drinking the Horchata!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy to hear the great news! Thank God Kaden is fighting his way through all these obstacles! I will continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers! Blessings always!
    Joanna(cherubs)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy to hear this great news! I've been praying for you since Liz shared your request. Our Cadenne was also on ECMO and I remember the pins and needles the day she came off. I can't wait to read news of your little star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy to read that Kaden is off the ECMO. I know so well sleeping in the hospital room, wondering what will happen next, knowing that you have no control and it's in the hands of God. We stayed in the hospital sleeping room for two nights when John was having his surgery. It was so comforting to be able to just go upstairs in the middle of the night and check on him. I will continue to pray that your baby improves each moment, each day.
    www.carepages.com, johnmichaellarson

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah Kristi and Craig,
    We are so so happy that Kaden came off ECMO and is doing well. We have been thinking about you a lot these days and were really hoping that Kaden will get the chance to show what he can do. It took a lot of miracles to get Alina where she is and we are 100% sure that Kaden is another miracle baby. You guys are fantastic parents and your love, strength and words of encouragement will bring Kaden home.
    We are praying for you.

    Hugs,

    the Houchins

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristi and Craig,

    I just wanted to let you know I am praying for your sweet Kaden daily here in Nashville, TN. I found you through Baby Maxton, which I found through The Tuley's. I will continue to pray for your little one and was so glad to read that he was able to come off ECMO. Praying for a great day for you all!

    Sissy Glover

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kaden is such a miracle. He continues to fight this battle so bravely! Hoping that he continues to do well with the days ahead. We will continue to pray for Kaden as well as you guys. I know he needs it now more than ever. And prayer does work!

    Fellow TWW Member (Former Oct 08)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for another great day. He's incredibly beautiful and apparently quite the "warrior".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praise the Lord and praying that Kaden keeps fighting and staying so strong! I am another TWW momma and I have been following your story for several months. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and we are thinking of you and your tough little guy. Hugs for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is AWESOME news!!! I am praying for you guys as well!

    BTW, my CDH survior is Caden and his big brother's name is Logan too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Papa Ben planted a tree for Kaden today and he says it will be strong and healthy just like our Boy. God has blessed us in many ways and I have never hurt so much as I have in the last few days with our baby struggling for his life. I am so proud of Both of you for your FAITH and your continued concern for all those around you. Let's just know that every day our baby will get stronger and God has a plan and we all hope we will be part of that. Sister Karri says she is thinking and praying as is Uncle Bob and Aunt Novella. Lots of strong believers are helping us through this time. I love YOU All

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go buddy. Keep those sats moving in the right direction! So many prayers are going out for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy Kaden made it off ECMO!! He is constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Thank GOD for your little miracle. Please stay positive, keep and know everyone is cheering him on! God bless you Kaden!
    ~Susie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kaden is ADORABLE! You can really see how handsome he is in this photo!
    We are so thrilled to hear that, so far, Kaden has done well off of ECMO! Way to go Little Man!
    We're continuing to send many prayers your way!
    God Bless,
    Sheryl & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a relief... My prayers continue to be with your family, but especially with Kaden.
    Many blessings and positive thoughts going your way...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Praise God that he is off ECMO and doing better. That just goes to show how powerful prayer is. Kaden is loved by so many, and we always look forward to your updates. Keep staying strong. You're always in our thoughts.

    Love,
    Stephanie
    Brooke and *Kamryn's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I lit a candle at the church yesterday for Kaden and said lots of prayers!!

    Rachael Blencowe

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete